Monday 27 May 2013

Team Work!

I’ve just finished reading an article about gratitude by David Servan-Schreiber, author of the wonderful book “Healing Without Freud Or Prozac”.  He advocates thanking those around you for what they have brought to your life and I like the idea very much.  I have a lot of people to thank for enriching my life, many friends and family members who are all amazing people, but I would like to dedicate this short blog post to my very good friend and training partner, Tracy.

I want to say a massive “thank you” for encouraging me to go to the leisure centre; it sounds crazy, but that Tuesday night, spent playing volleyball has literally changed my life.  I was despondent when the Moorside finally closed its doors; I’d been training there for many years and became fond of the people and characters I would meet on a regular basis, but looking back on it now, I’d become stuck in a rut, doing the same things time after time and not feeling motivated or inspired to try anything new.  I would also have got very little training done during the harsh winter months; the Moorside is somewhere you really don’t want to be when the weather takes a turn for the worst! 
 
Work those abs Tracy!
We’re now working out together on a regular basis, challenging, inspiring and motivating each other to try new things and push just that bit harder – “just one more rep” – “you used that weight last time, you need to increase it now” – there’s never any offence taken with these kinds of demands, in-fact quite the opposite, sometimes we laugh so much, we just can’t make that last rep!
 
I couldn't do more than one press up on the bosu ball when we
started training, now we're doing repeated sets of 10!
Steadily over the last few months, we’ve seen and felt the many benefits of our training; as I’m sure any personal trainer would agree – it’s not what you do once in a while that makes the difference, it’s what you do on a regular basis that matters and I suppose the point I really want to make is that we can, all of us, challenge ourselves, despite age or ability, to push that little bit harder, make just that little bit more effort to improve ourselves; exercise our personal discipline muscle and if that includes inspiring someone else to feel good about themselves, then that’s a very real result!

Our jack-knife challenge - done individually we may have
given up, done together we made it!
Take great care of yourself & inspire someone else along the way!
Cathy x



No comments:

Post a Comment