Thursday 15 November 2012

Give me Sunshine!

This wonderful, life-giving autumn sunshine we’re so lucky to be having at the moment has inspired me to want to write about vitamin D; but before I do, I wanted to share with you these pictures, taken from the top of Sitch Lane, Birch Vale.  Most of you who know me will be familiar with the fact that I love running, but when you run alone, you tend to do the same routes time after time, without challenging yourself; so this last week, I set myself a goal to run to the top of Sitch and down the other side into Hayfield.  I’ve done it twice now and I absolutely love it, it’s quite literally like being on top of the world!  I must be honest though and admit that I very nearly backed out the first time; having got to the bottom of the hill, that little voice kicked in that said – “you’ll never do this, best carry on the low road and do what you normally do - play it safe” – so irritating and I very nearly listened and took its advice, until I reminded myself that it was only a thought and I’m not my thoughts – although sometimes I think I am! 
 
Anyway, back to vitamin D; this fat-soluble vitamin, strongly associated with the health of our bones, has recently become quite a hot topic with studies revealing increasing prevalence of a widespread, global deficiency.   Our natural source of the vitamin is sunshine; vitamin D3 or cholecalciferol is formed in the skin when exposed to sunlight and very little exposure is needed to provide us with our recommended daily, adequate intake.  Natural food sources include oily fish and eggs, other foods such as margarine, bread and fruit juices may be fortified and have vitamin D added to them.   A spectrum of emerging evidence is linking this vitamin to a range of health benefits aside from the role it plays in calcium absorption and the promotion of bone formation, including enhanced immune function, reduced risk of cardiovascular disease, possible prevention of some forms of cancer and improvements in mood & depression.  In fact, research suggests that deficiency may be exacerbating the symptoms of seasonal affective disorder (SAD) and increased synthesis of vitamin D in the skin during the summer (providing we get some sunshine that is) is the reason we feel happier during the warmer, sunny months.

Now, back to the running; when I first started, many years ago now, I was probably carrying around about two stone more in weight than I am now; hence I did a lot of my training very early in the morning so that no-one would see me!   Over time, I began to lose the excess weight, have loads more energy and I was able to finally discard the sweatshirts I insisted on tying around my middle to hide my backside!  So when you see someone out running and they make it look easy, remember that they may have been doing it for many years and didn’t start out like that and also remember to send the runner who perhaps looks as if they may be struggling a little, some positive and encouraging thoughts, because when they were putting on their kit and tying their laces, they overcame that little voice that said they should sit on the sofa instead!   So if there’s something you want to do to transform yourself, you too can thank the voice for its opinion and decide to get out there and shine instead!
 
Nourish yourself!
Cathy x

No comments:

Post a Comment