Monday 26 November 2012

Nourish Yourself!

Whilst on the crosstrainer in the gym Friday evening, the amazingly enthusiastic and energetic Jamie Oliver was cooking up some wonderful culinary delights on the TV in front of me, recipes from his 15 minute meal repertoire; this was not only helping to divert my attention away from the workout time remaining, but was also making me feel incredibly hungry!  He makes it all look so easy and exciting, that I decided I would invest time and effort into trying out his recipe for a grilled mushroom sub.  I located the recipe from his website and set off to Tesco’s on Saturday morning, armed with my shopping list of ingredients; I changed the salad ever so slightly and halved the recipe, but basically adhered to the formula in order to try to attain the same gastronomic success.  Aside from the basic ingredients, i.e. ciabatta, cheese, pancetta and salad dressing, my meal contained the following:-

Mushrooms
Garlic
Red onion
Watercress
Cucumber
Radish
Red Pepper
Tomatoes
Walnuts
Cornichons  
Lemon
Pear
Olive oil

I’m pleased to report that it was a delicious, culinary work of art containing a palette of rich & vibrant colour bursting with nutrients!  Well, maybe that’s a bit over the top, but from the list of ingredients you would have to agree that it was a nutrient-dense masterpiece!  I must confess that my obsession with food is based upon the nutrient-density of the ingredients and how they may benefit health & well-being, but this quick and easy meal definitely dispels the myth that eating for good health is based upon dieting & deprivation!  Aside from the aesthetic attributes, although it feels good to prepare delicious food for others, there is something all the more special about taking the time and making the effort to do it just for yourself.
 
In order to nourish others, you must begin by nourishing yourself!
 
Cathy x

No comments:

Post a Comment